Apologies for a late reply, it seems like you've done some great work.
We can work to update the documentation.

> What should people like me who want to contribute to the codebase be working
> on, and who should we liaise with at OL/IA to make sure we are making useful
> contributions?

I'm probably the right liasing person. Right now there is no active OL
development, the main developer left in December and the backup
developer is on his way out if he hasn't left already (not really
project related afaict) and it's unclear whether even maintenance
requests/tickets are being worked on, so I've been doing triage on
bugs in addition to mostly just answering the support email that
continues to come,.

The biggest challenge I have facing me now is the spam issue. We have
a bunch of people adding spammy entries in Korean and no good way to
either keep them out or even go back and bulk delete pattern-matched
spam. I'd love to have a tool that does this. I'm not sure if a person
working on the code would also need admin privs in terms of their
account so please let me know if that's a stumbling block.

Just getting a group of developers looking at the code would be
incredibly helpful on my end, to have someone to bounce minor issues
off of. Let me know how I can help.

Jessamyn