On 3 July 2015 at 01:17, jessamyn c. west <jessa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anand no longer works for OL/IA but it's true I think it's true that
> he had the test version. I'm a little new to OS development, what is
> the difference between getting the code merged and deploying it?

Merging the code to github just updates the publicly available source code.
The version of Openlibrary that is running and available at
http://openlibrary.org won't be automatically updated unless someone
actively deploys the latest code to the servers. This can be automated in
various ways, but I have no idea how IA does/did this internally,
deployments are outside the remit of github. As Karen says there is some
risk in just deploying without first testing how the new code integrates
with the other parts of the IA. The tests I have seen included with the
code are unit tests that test small units of functionality, not how the
system functions as a whole. I got the impression that the coverage of
those unit tests were better in some areas than in others too. Knowing what
extra testing Anand did before a release would help. Devs can run an
instance locally, but the limitations are the available test data,
integrations with external services that we won't have working copies of,
and knowing which areas need manual testing.

> > the current method of removing unwanted entries?
>
> There's an admin-side tool that just bans the user and bulk-deletes
> all  their entries, so we wouldn't even have to collect their
> contributions, we can just mass delete their stuff under the
> assumption that it's all spam. Something that created an HTML list of
> all the spammy user's admin user pages in this format
>
> https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/USERNAME
>
> would let me go down them quickly and easily.

I've attempted a quick script (in ruby) that collects usernames who have
added multiple spam-like entries. It's a bit rough, currently it only looks
for the presence of a few characters, there's a square bracket thing that
seems to be a signature, but here's a list of spam accounts over the last
500 new accounts it has picked up:

https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/er4w42w3eer4w42w3e
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/ist3526
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/temi000

https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/gbfrderdegbfrderde
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/fgre3e3fgre3e3
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/er4t6q234e
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/t5q23e
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/4t6q23we
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/gre3regre3re
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/dghmghm
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/er4t6q34r
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/der4t6aw3e
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/tey55tswtey55tsw
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/4y6q34r
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/rthsthsrt
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/rsthrthtjdfhcb
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/ghrthdrthdd
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/hy5tr46hy5tr46
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/hfghfghvdv
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/gfgnfvvdv
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/dghjaertaervd
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/hye4y64hye4y64
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/zgnzdfvd
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/gytee45e4gytee45e4
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/dfnzdfnzdfnsv
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/q52w34rtg
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/dbsdbsddbd
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/gtr4e3regtr4e3re
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/fgnfgngdfvcxvcv
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/gfhgdfg
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/xvxcvv
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/minemine601
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/dfhgdfhdsf
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/xczxczxc
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/dxcvxvcv
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/cxccsfvxx
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/sdfdcxc
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/cutecutie498
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/zcxzcxc
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/cscxcxx
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/czsdvd
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/zxczxcxc
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/zxcxzczxc
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/xcvxcvcvxv
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/aesdfaff
https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/hgjdjgfd
<https://openlibrary.org/admin/people/hgjdjgfd>

disappointingly, I think that's not even 24 hours worth. If this is going
to help you keep on top of the problem though, I can modify it further to
suit, or run it over more of the new-account changes to catch more.

Regards,
Charles.