To expand a little bit on this:

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Tom Morris <tfmor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect it has to do with deleting /dev since that was the home for the
> permissions key that allowed us to edit:
>
> http://openlibrary.org/dev.json?v=8
> http://openlibrary.org/permission/librarians.json
> http://openlibrary.org/usergroup/librarians.json

My guess is that the permission checking code starts at the current page
and works its way up the tree until it finds a page that has permission
settings that apply.  In this case, if you look at the old version of /dev
(ie http://openlibrary.org/dev.json?v=8), you can see that it includes:

{

   - key: "/permission/librarians"

},

and /permissions/librarians.json includes, in part:

{

   - key: "/permission/librarians",
   {
      - value: "Permission object to allow editing by librarians and
      admins."
      },
   - readers:
   [
      -
      {
         - key: "/usergroup/everyone"
         }
      ],
   - m: "edit",
   - writers:
   [
      -
      {
         - key: "/usergroup/admin"
         },
      -
      {
         - key: "/usergroup/librarians"
         }
      ],

}

and finally /usergroup/librarians includes the following members:

   - members:
   [
      -
      {
         - key: "/people/anand"
         },
      -
      {
         - key: "/people/kcoyle"
         },
      -
      {
         - key: "/people/bencompanjen"
         },
      -
      {
         - key: "/people/tfmorris"
         }
      ],

So, when the page at /dev was deleted, taking the permission node with it,
the folks in /usergroup/librarians lost their write access.

I believe the split between /developers and /dev was intentional, reserving
/developers for IA staff only, but I'm not sure what the rationale was or
if it's still valid.

One solution would be to just restore the contents of /dev.  It doesn't
actually have to be linked to from anywhere as long as its around to hold
the permissions.

https://openlibrary.org/dev?m=revert&v=8

And that exhausts my knowledge on the subject...

Tom