I presume we need a motion and a vote on this. Time is of the essence, so
please respond ASAP.
Motion: Samson Goddy has been selected as a Sugar Labs representative to
the Google Summer of Code mentor summit. He has requested a travel advance
to cover the costs of his visa application. The advance, including wire
fees comes to $US 627.05. This motion is to approve the travel advance. (As
additional background, Google will be covering up to $2200 in travel
expenses for two representatives to attend the summit. Since our other
representative is local to the SF area, the bulk of that money would be
available to cover Samson's travel, so the net impact on SL funds will be
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Accounting at Software Freedom Conservancy <
Date: Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 4:16 PM
Subject: URGENT request for Sugar Labs to approve of US$627.05 advance for
Goddy for GSoC Mentor Summit (was: Is Goddy actually requesting $160 ?)
Cc: Martin Michlmayr <g...@sfconservancy.org>, Samson Goddy <
Sugar Labs PLC, please urgently page down to the all caps section below.
Samson Goddy wrote at 08:52 (EDT) on Wednesday:
> it has been 5 days, i already made request to su...@sfconservancy.org for
> funding. Since it takes up to 15 working days(3 weeks) for the embassy to
> accept appointment for interview.
> I haven't heard anything from both parties.
Unfortunately, We are waiting for someone from Sugar Labs to reply to
approve the expense. I don't know why they haven't replied.
SUGAR LABS PLC: By my calculation, Samson is asking for this:
FOR TRAVEL TO GET A VISA, AND FOR THE VISA FEES ITSELF, SAMSON GODDY ASKS
FOR A CASH ADVANCE OF TRAVEL EXPENSES (TO COME TO GSOC MENTOR SUMMIT
2017). The totals are as follows:
If we use western union, N202,350 = $570 (rate set by WU)
If we use wire, he's asking for 561+(561*.05)+13+25 = US$627.05 to be
If Sugar Labs PLC replies with approval before Sunday night US/Eastern, we
can likely process a payment by wire on Monday.
We don't typically use Western Union, and it would be substantial effort for
us to do that, so we'd like Sugar to approve the additional wire fees as
it will make payment more rapid for Samson and easier for Conservancy.
Samson, your request was a bit ramble-y, so if I gleaned the wrong totals
above, please correct them.
Samson, in preparation for Sugar Labs PLC hopefully approving this request,
could you let me know if the wire instructions I used for you before are
still correct, and if not, send me new ones?
Bradley M. Kuhn
Distinguished Technologist of Software Freedom Conservancy
|------> & also, de-facto Bookkeeper for the moment
Pls support Conservancy!: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter/