Hi,

Thanks Alla - I would like to elaborate on this.  At the end of the release we
have to be able to articulate what we are doing and why, otherwise we reduce
ONAPs credibility.  Part of this is ensuring architectural coherence and the
appropriate project structure as part of our governance.   There maybe cases
where we justify allowing overlap to explore innovative technologies etc, and
in such cases we should broadly discuss so that we have a common understanding
of why -  I haven't seen such justification here; furthermore we are producing
a platform that should be applicable for different use cases, and if we have to
introduce a new controller for each use case it implies that the existing
controllers are insufficient and here we should understand why.  This is why I
was OK when we said that this would be further discussed in the architecture,
however if that is not the case I´ll go more into the details.

>From an architecture perspective.  The approved Beijing architecture is here:
>https://wiki.onap.org/download/attachments/25431301/ONAP%20Beijing%20Architecture%20TSC%20v2.0.3.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1521120444000&api=v2

  *   It has a SDN-C which is stated to configure and maintain the health of
L1-3 VNFs/PNfs and network services throughout their lifecycle
  *   It has an APPC to preform the functions to manage the lifecyle of VNFS
and their components. (there is a description of what this specifically means)
  *   It has CCSDK
The longer term what was discussed as a generic NF controller and SDNC (i.e.
consolidating the controllers).

Question: what is missing from the APPC / SDNC combination for this to be
applied to 5G Use cases?  From this description is clear that APPC should be
able to configure the RAN VNFs, or do I miss something?

--

>From a project perspective, the projects have a scope:
SDNC (which the SDNR subproject is subject to) (v6.1):
Project Description:
The SDN-C project provides a global network controller, built on the Common
Controller Framework, which manages, assigns and provisions network resources.
 As a "global" controller, the SDN-C project is intended to run as one logical
instance per enterprise, with potentially multiple geographically diverse
virtual machines / docker containers in clusters to provide high availability.
The project also will support the ability to invoke other local SDN
controllers, including third party SDN controllers

Project scope:
·         The following features are in scope for the SDN-C project for ONAP
release 1:
·         Enhancements to support the ONAP release 1 use cases (vCPE, VoLTE)
·         Yang models,
·         Directed graphs
·         New Adapters needed to support use cases (details to be determined
during planning phase)
·         Support for third party controllers:
·         Adapter to allow DG to connect to netconf devices (netconf-lite)
·         High availability (local)
·         The following features will be defined for the project:
·         Configuration versioning : ability to roll back the configuration
·         CLI adaptor : abstraction layer for CLI adaptor
·         Support for third party controllers:
·         Adapter layer to interface with downstream controllers
·         Support for geographically distributed network resources
·         QoS support

APPC:
Project Description:
The Application Controller (APPC) performs functions to manage the lifecycle of
VNFs and their components providing model driven configuration, abstracts
cloud/VNF interfaces for repeatable actions, uses vendor agnostic mechanisms
(NETCONF, Chef via Chef Server and Ansible) and enables automation.
·         Model and policy driven application controller with intrinsic VNF
management capabilities.
·         Support of multi vendor system of VNFs with interdependence between
them.
·         Provide uploading capabilities of  standard data model which describe
the management, configuration and inter-dependencies of the VNF.
·         APPC model will be based on ONAP TOSCA and Yang containing a
dependency model, LCM recipes, configuration templates, policies etc.
·         APPC provides multi-protocol southbound plugins, including support
for NETCONF, Chef via a Chef Server, and Ansible and ability to operate through
vendor specific VNFM/EMS via adaptation through a plugin.
·         APPC provides a VNF configuration repository with the latest working
configuration for each managed VNF instance it is responsible for.
·
Scope:

  *   Support for complex ONAP use cases including vVOLTE (with vEPC)  and vCPE
  *   Provide Generic VNF LCM commands for Northbound consumers (SO, Policy,
CMO, DCAE, etc.)
     *   The implementation of LCM commands will use an uploaded VNFD TOSCA
model to infer an execution protocol and drive workflows
     *   Design-time ability to attach recipes (specified by Directed Graphs,
aka DGs) to specific VNF LCM  commands, or "Actions" received via the
Northbound APIs.
  *   Provide a model driven configuration API composed from a Yang-based VNF
configuration model and set of templates to map payloads to the VNF
configuration protocol.
     *   Provide configuration repository APIs getLatestConfig, configAudit etc.
  *   Manage the VNF operational state including Blocking, Sequencing and
Session Throttling
  *   Provide conflict resolution for multiple LCM requests
  *   Provide flexible deployment options such as HA, single node or
geo-distributed deployment
  *   Adaptation of additional NBI definitions established by ETSI-MANO using
NFV-O to leverage existing APPC functions, including:
     *   Scale VNF
     *   Terminate VNF
     *   Query VNF
     *   Operate VNF
     *   Modify VNF Information
     *   Get Operation Status
  *   Adaptation of NBI definition at the orchestration level by invoking
existing orchestrator functions, including:
     *   Create VNF Identifier
     *   Delete VNF Identifier
     *   Instantiate VNF
  *   Build additional DGs to implement new ETSI defined NB APIs not currently
supported by APPC
     *   Scale VNF to Level
     *   Change VNF Flavour
     *   Heal VNF
  *   Support for GVNFM functionality through additional SB adapters to support:
     *   Bridging to a compliant S-VNFM when this functionality is provided by
the VNF
     *   Utilize ETSI VNFD acquired from a VNF to define the configuration and
management data model of the VNF.

---
>From the above, its hard for me to see that the scope of controlling a RAN is
>in the purview of the SDNC project.  (Hence shouldn't be having Repos for that
>functionality).  When the SDNR sub-project was raised, I was of the
>understanding from the December developers conference that its fit was under
>the SDNC scope of "New Adapters needed to support use cases (details to be
>determined during planning phase)"

The concept of the a CCSDC based controller persona as being raised a few
times, and indeed discussed in the architecture committee.  That is quite an
interesting concept.  When we adopt that, there are a few questions that we
need to consider:

  *   When adopting that properly in ONAP, then the tool to "create"/"design"
the controller persona is should be included.  Without that, we are still
building the controllers in ONAP in a traditional sense, utilizing common
comonents (which is a good thing).
  *   When adopting that there are a few questions we need to consider: How
many personas do we want to "create/design" and bring into the integration
project.  Is the current project structure the right one?

For the sake of progress on Monday I was accepting that we state "controller"
requirements with the details to be worked out with the architecture
sub-committee as that is what I understood of the discussion.  This is due to
that as I haven't seen the motivation for why the SDNC and APPC combination is
not sufficient.   I don't think that placing this on a new controller or
extending SDNC to cover VNF controller in general is the correct action at this
stage.

BR,

Steve