I think getting something like statckalytics going is goodness, but I don't
think it gets to the upstream first issue.

Look at David's original complaint about 10k LOC patches coming in, and it
*hinting* at code being developed behind closed doors and being pushed up
in batch.  2 10k LOC patches produce the same 20k LOC total in stackalytics
that 2000 100 LOC patches produce.  So not a great metric of Upstream
Firstness.

The other thing I'd strongly counsel is no hard and fast 'this patch is to
big' rules.  I've personally authored patches that are *very simple* (like
changing the signature on a method used internally to a project) which
result in *huge* patches by LOC (because they touch many callers of that
function).  LOC doesn't really tell you about Upstream Firstness or not,
its merely a hint (many large patches hint strongly at an absence of
upstream firstness).

Ed