On 30 June 2011 17:18, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:

> From this, is it more precise to say that OpenOffice.org and
> LibreOffice.org provide 100% fidelity in interchange of documents with each
> other when employing their common native format, ODF?

I'm happy with that, I wasn't thinking in a particular detailed way with the
original post, it was really just saying hey this end user asked which
product to choose. His main concerns I'm guessing would be are they similar
to use (almost identical), can I exchange files the same from and between
these products and others. (hopefully identically) and will any license
differences affect me (probably not)

And the presumption for that is the common code base which is their common
> inheritance assures that, at least for now?

Yes - but I'm not a dev so I can't be 100% certain :-)

Is it safe to conclude that this statement does not extend to anything about
> completeness and quality of support for ODF beyond the fact that, all else
> being equal, whatever the one produces and carries via the ODF format, the
> other successfully consumes?  And this is without qualification?

Yes again. Remember the average end user is not going to understand anything
about odf, its extensibility or differences in implementation. I just think
at this level too much information will only serve to confuse.

If this statement were made in front of an audience of users or officials or
> executives, would it be better to say that OpenOffice.org and
> LibreOffice.org are compatible (in their support for and reliance on ODF)?
>  Is this a promise that they are and will be kept that way?

That is more difficult. I was simply thinking in terms of replying to an
individual asking a question on a mailing list :-)

What is it you want the take-away to be that has you use the expression "odf
> files with 100% fidelity."  What is meant to be reassuring about that?

I worded it badly, fell between two stools.  Not technically precise enough
for someone like yourself and probably unnecessary technical terms for the
user I was intending it to be for.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940