Yesterday I got tired of the look of people.mdtext in the project site. It was
so 1990s. So, I've improved the look via css and adding defined widths. I guess
I am volunteering for the item on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

Several of us have been surveying the existing openoffice.org website on
several wiki pages mostly linked to from:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Site-PPMC-Plan

With over 140 "projects" in openoffice.org, it will be important to agree to a
mapping which reduces the granularity by more than an order of magnitude. The
page http://projects.openoffice.org/ is a good and clear way to start - and
pretty much fits the structure on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Project+Planning

        • Product Development
        • Extension Development
        • Language Support
        • Helping Users
        • Distribution
        • Promotion

I think that these groupings will help us easily have a rule about which
projects end up on http://openoffice.apache.org/ or stay on the successor
http://*.openoffice.org/.

Projects have "webcontent" and/or "wiki" content. On openoffice.org there is a
generally consistent look. There are exceptions which are marketing sites like
http://why.openoffice.org/. The difference is glaring because that is the first
big button on the main site.

Webcontent is available via svn - "svn co
https://svn.openoffice.org/svn/${project}~webcontent ${project}" (Thanks Marcus
Lange)

Some projects are huge and others small. I downloaded several:

wave@minotaur:~/ooo-test$ ls -1
development
documentation
download
projects
www

The size is 2.7GB.

It would be good to come up with a scripted way to convert existing webcontent
to either mdtext, an altered html, or specialized javascript and css. It is
likely we can adapt the content and use the Apache CMS to wrap a standard
skeleton.

Regards,
Dave