On 21 July 2011 10:33, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 07/21/2011 03:16 AM, schrieb Shane Curcuru:
>
>  Thanks for the info. Note that it would be helpful if people interested
>> in working with trademarks read the Apache policies, as well as our
>> growing list of FAQs:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/**foundation/marks/<http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/>
>> http://www.apache.org/**foundation/marks/faq/<http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/>
>>
>> Part of my strategy is to attempt to cover as many of the basic kinds of
>> uses with generic documentation, and to try to limit the number of
>> explicit agreements or specific grants that we give to third parties.
>>
>> I.e. if we can clearly state in a policy that using our marks in manner
>> X is generally permissible, without having to fillin a webform or email
>> for written permission, it makes our life much, much simpler. There are
>> plenty of uses of trademarks that don't require any permissions and are
>> not infringing - otherwise, how could I order a Coke (or a Pepsi) to
>> drink?
>>
>> For things like journalists writing an article about Apache products, or
>> individuals with personal blogs who just want to link to the download
>> page for a product - I'd like to be able to point to a policy or FAQ
>> that notes if they do it appropriately, no explicit permission is
>> required.
>>
>> Obviously with the userbase and reach of OpenOffice.org, we need to
>> consider how to manage the kinds of requests and the load of requests
>> going forward, now that we're becoming Apache OpenOffice.
>>

> Is there already a list that names simple requests that doesn't need a
> permission? We could create a new webpage on the Wiki or homepage as "I want
> to use your trademark. What to do?" section.

I have made a request that I think is fairly well-known. It is to use the
OpenOffice.org name and logo on user certificates and in the handbook. I
will have a draft of the handbook finished in the next couple of days if
anyone wants to look at it. It will get published with an ISBN on Lulu.com
and translated to Spanish. CC ASA 3.0 license.

It might be that I use Apache OpenOffice instead of OpenOffice.org and
include the Apache Logo. Part of the idea is to raise awareness of FOSS
projects and communities so there is a marketing dimension to this that
should be beneficial to everyone.

Just raising this again here for maximum transparency!
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.