On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Pedro Giffuni <giffu...@tutopia.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Despite the valid interest in higher encryption schemes, I
> prefer to set Blowfish as default now. That doesn't mean
> we won't consider patches later on, of course.
>
> BTW, can't we just use OpenSSL? I think it's included in
> most linux/BSD distributions.

OpenSSL is a a validated module when run in "FIPS mode":

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/1401val2009.htm#1111

But that would still apply to AES, not Blowfish.

Think of it this way:  FIPS 140 defines what the acceptable algorithms
are.  Then the actual modules, the actual libraries, are validated by
3rd party testing labs according to NIST criteria.   If we use
validated modules implementing approved algorithms, then we're golden.

I'd be happy if we had deep in some configuration dialog the ability
for user (or more likely the IT department) to specify the algorithm
to use.

The question of the default setting is less critical.  The
organizations that are most concerned about crypto tend to also be the
organizations that will customize their installs to override the
default settings for all users in their organizations.  So if we want
the Apache-released version to use Blowfish by default, that is fine.

This is something that we should keep in mind in general.  Microsoft
does a great job with their Office Resource Kit and the ability for
corporate users to customize and deploy installs in their
organizations with different defaults.  We should aim for similar
capabilities for AOOo,.

So think of two kinds of users;

1) Those who download a single copy of AOOo and install it on a single
machine, or a small number of machines.

2) Those who customize the install, add additional corporate
templates, override settings, etc., and deploy to thousands of users.

We might have great ideas for what settings we have as defaults for
that first class of users.  But we should also enable IT departments
to enforce their own requirements for their own users.  The defaults
appropriate for installing on 40 machines for use by patrons in a
public library might be different than the defaults for 100,000 users
at a Fortune 500 company.

Does that make sense?

-Rob