Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
A rough analysis http://people.apache.org/~arielch/dictionaries.ods
shows that more than half language packs didn't distribute the three DICT,
HYPHEN and THES dics.

Thanks Ariel for the useful data. By crossing it with data from
http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/localized/
we can conclude that 96% of the localized full versions of OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 come with at least a spell-checking dictionary for their main language. So removing dictionaries does seem a scary option.

Note that full builds were only provided for languages that had attained a satisfactory ( >80% ) percentage of interface translation. The other languages relied on language packs only, but my concern is mostly for users who download their localized version of OpenOffice.org as an "all-in-one" package. The 96% figure above is 22/23, where the missing one is the "cs_CZ" dictionary, the only case of a full build missing a dictionary. And of course I am not able to evaluate the quality of included dictionaries.

Regards,
  Andrea.