Yes you missed it, read the archives.

> I agree with you that the proposed time frame (in two weeks) is too fast for
> us to react.  But I do think that we need a very solid and capable extension
> and template repository before we release AOO 3.4.
> I anticipate heavy traffic at that time. Since we're pushing for a Q1 release
> of
> 3.4, that means we will need to move quickly on stabilizing these services.
>
> It would be great to better understand where we might be with an Infra
> effort in this same time frame.
>
> Also, as I understand it, even with a short term stabilization effort from
> Infra,
> we're still out-of-policy for graduation, and we'd need to
> move to another solution after that.   It sounds like the federated
> approach where host only an index might work.  I think I understand what
> that effort would entail.  Technically it can be clean and elegant, but it
> does
> have a high coordination cost, dealing with all of the extension and templates
> authors.
>
> On the other hand, an external host, like SF, could get us the stability we
> need, as well as deal with the OSS license compatibility policy issues. We
> resolve it all at once.
>
> I wonder whether one blended solution might be:
>
> 1) Accept SF's offer for the short term stability improvement and getting in
> policy with the copyleft extensions.
>
> 2) In parallel work with Apache Infra, volunteers from this project, and from
> SF (and maybe LibreOffice?), on an Apache Labs project to build a simple
> open source template/extensions management server.
> Maybe we can start from the existing server? (What license is it?) Extend
> that to give the kind of loose coupling and federation we want.
>  When that is ready, the SF will be well positioned to host one of the first
> servers of its kind.  But we'll also be making this software available to
> anyone
> to set up their own repository.

You are missing the point (well some of it.) Part of the reason for the
templates
and extensions being moved off ours servers for distribution was to reduce the
heavy load demanded of it at OSUOSL. Our bandwidth is not finate and if we can
reduce this by having template and extension owners self-host, all the better
and is one reason why I intended to go with the suggested metadata approach.

Gav...