+1 to Pedro's point that the main end-user channel is crucially important.

In one way, it feels like there are two discussions in this sub-thread:

- Rob zeroing in on his infographic idea (and building at least a small subset of good data on participant history). It will make a good blog post and pointer for information on who's working here.

- Several other people believing that the main end-user facing information source is probably the most important tool we have to deal with either FUD, or just plain user interest.

Dave - do we have a "one stop shop" for pointers for committers who want to work on the oo.o website? In particular for text only changes (i.e. no graphics or style stuff), are there any gotchas on any of the main parts of the site these days?

Personally, I agree with Pedro, and I'm far more interested in working on the larger story of ensuring that end users understand the transition from OOo -> AOO. Presuming I can free up some time next week I'd like to do something about the quite annoying lack of obvious "Apache" mentions all over the oo.o site.

- Shane

On 2012-03-12 5:49 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

On Mar 12, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Pedro Giffuni<p...@apache.org>  wrote:
On 03/12/12 14:48, Rob Weir wrote:

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Pedro Giffuni<p...@apache.org>   wrote:

On 03/12/12 13:42, Rob Weir wrote:

I'm not suggesting we argue with anyone.  I'm suggesting we make
truthful positive statements about this project and the experience
level of its participants.

FWIW, and just my humble opinion ...

I don't think we should spend time discussing such arguments
when we have the one instrument that defines the true
continuation of the project, namely www.openoffice.org .

Oh, I'm sure we all have our own preferred ways of doing this.  The
nice thing is that they are not mutually exclusive. We only need to
agree to be accurate and positive.   We don't need to agree on a
narrow set of specific communications. Some volunteers might work
better with HTML, others with YouTube videos, others with graphics.
Let's find more ways of saying "yes and"  instead of "no, but".

-Rob

You didn't get it: the channel matters.

If a blog from the Apache Foundation says "OpenOffice is not
dead" and a blog from TDF says "OpenOffice.org is dead",
well ... both can be wrong or right ...

OTOH, If the openoffice.org says "alive and kicking" the
message is way more credible.

So that is a "yes, and" statement.  Yes, let's do the home page, and
the other things as well, if we have volunteers to do them. They work
together.  Certainly the home page gets a lot of traffic, so it can
reinforce a message.

This said ... I don't feel confident enough to modify the
main page: if I, for example, screw things up badly and
want to revert my changes, can I do that easily in
Apache CMS?

It may depend on whether you want to change only the main index.html
page, or change the repeated page elements that appear on every page.
Dave would know how far you can go without forcing a complete rebuild.

We now use Server Side Includes and there are no longer any sledgehammer builds.

I have a notion to make it easy to add news to the main page. The buttons are a
current issue on the main page and the downloads.

It is safe to change/update news stories using the Apache CMS Bookmarklet
directly from www.openoffice.org. If you are not a committer then you can
create a patch.

Regards,
Dave