Hi,

On 18.03.2012 18:10, Kay Schenk wrote:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<
orwittm...@googlemail.com>  wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

I have continued the work started by Regina, Ariel and Kay regarding the
update
service.
I have documented my findings at [1].

I think we have everything together to bring a corresponding web service
back to
life.

I think we have at least two options for such a web service.

If we want to create a 'real' web service which on demand creates an
appropriate
response the HTTP GET request contains all needed information in its
header
fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" to implement such a web service.
The "User-Agent" field contains the operating system, the machine
architecture
and the bundled languages of the installed office. If a corresponding
installation package of newer version is available a corresponding
response can
be generated.

Another solution could be to provide a static XML document, based on an
atom
feed, which contains as much entries as installation packages for the
latest
version are available. For each installation package which defines itself
by the
operating system, the machine architecture and the bundled languages an
entry is
needed. Such entries need to be duplicated for every existing office
installation with different<UpdateID>  in its version.ini.

Any thoughts, comments, corrections, ...?

BTW, the update service of a certain installed office can be tested
locally. No
HTTP GET request is involved in this case, but you can test with certain
XML
documents provided as responses. You can change the value of<UpdateURL>
in file
<version.ini>  of your office installation to a local file URL - e.g. under
Windows to something like file:///C:/check.update.xml

[1]
http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
Notification_Protocol#A_**glance_on_the_code_for_the_**
Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#A_glance_on_the_code_for_the_Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release>

The<UpdateURL>  in the installed OOo 3.3 instances is
http://update36.services.**openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
Update<http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
.
This is no longer available. This also annoys our users I think.

If we can redirect this URL and the redirection would provide the
following XML document the corresponding update service in these offices
will reply "<your office>  is up to date"
The XML document which needs to be provided only has to contain this XML
snippet:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<inst:description xmlns:inst="http://**installation.openoffice.org/**
description<http://installation.openoffice.org/description>">
</inst:description>

Can someone implement the redirect?
May be
http://www.openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>can
 be used as the redirect. Here, I think it was Kay, already an XML
document exists which only needs to be updated.

Note: I have also an OOo 3.1 installed. Here the<UpdateURL>  is
http://update32.services.**openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
Update<http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
.
May be we should redirect all URL matching http://update3[0..6].services.*
*openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>

Oliver--

Hi -- I missed this post until just now.

I can put this code snippet in in

http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
as you suggest.

...and send a note to INFRA regarding the DNS changes

However, I'm a bit concerned with telling users (and perhaps folks using a
very old version) that their version is "up to date" when it isn't.  Is
this all we can do about this right now?

May be we should revise my above proposal as a temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is ready:
- redirect URL http://update36.services... to the new URL
--> OOo 3.3.0 update service should answer with a "up to date"
- redirect URLs http://update3[0..5].services... to another URL which provides an XML snippet containing the download link to the OOo 3.3.0 download website. --> OOo 3.0.0 ... OOo 3.2.1 update service should answer with a "update available, please go to ..."

A "con" of this solution would be that even, if the download link does not contain any package for the specific installed OOo 3.0.0 ... OOo 3.2.1

Any further thoughts?

Best regards, Oliver.