> >And finally: would you have any objection to us using a mix of fixed
> >mirrors, elastic file delivery services (like s3), and commercial CDN
> >service to handle spikes in download gracefully and assure that global
> >users get good download performance when local mirrors are overloaded
> >or not available?
>

> No, we may even be willing to budget some amount for this purpose.
> Cost estimates would be appreciated as our budget numbers for FY2012
> need to be finalized next week.

Sorry that it's taken a bit to get back to you.   We are working on getting
pricing from a variety of providers, and my personal goal is to find a way
for us to fund the CDN and S3 costs, and to provide this to the community
as a free (as in beer) service.

Thanks everybody who provided anecdotal information on historical traffic
peaks, and particularly for the steady state run rate information.   That
has been invaluable as we talk with vendors about the suplemental capacity
we need to acquire to handle peak loads.

There's one key input to figuring out if I can pay for all of this out of
ad revenue, which is what percentage of the daily downloads are expected to
come from auto-updater software or other non-browser scripts?   Would that
traffic still be pointed primarily at AOO owned domains and mirrors, or
would we be handling some of that from the sf.net service?

And finally, I'd also be interested in finding out if you know percentage
of traffic is from North America vs the rest of the world because some
providers give very different rates for different locations, for example
Cloudfront publishes $0.02/gb US and $0.12/gb in South America.

Thanks again for to everybody who helped with data so far!

--Mark Ramm

====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by
replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your
system. Thank you.