*We have finally assessed the capacity and capabilities needed to serve the
surge of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release-time traffic.  Before we could
commit to delivering the full download volume, we wanted to produce a
vetted plan, including a clear timeline and backing technical
implementation plans.

First let me quickly recap my understanding of the problems we are trying
to solve for:

   - Apache OpenOffice 3.4 will be released in mid April and we want to
   assure capacity to handle that traffic both in terms of bandwidth and
   simultaneous connections.
   - The Apache OpenOffice project would benefit to be able to promote the
   release heavily without worrying about capacity.

Given those needs and the fact the Apache Infrastructure team said they’d
welcome our assistance, we at SourceForge think we can help and that there
would be mutual benefit.
What we are proposing is an elaboration of Joe’s ‘hybrid’ approach:

   - Both AOO and SF.net mirror networks would be used to provide download
   capacity for the 3.4 release.
   - SourceForge.net would be the “recommended default download” on the
   website.
   - Apache Mirror network would be an alternate download option.
   - Apache OpenOffice team and Infrastructure team will maintain control
   of the the auto-update URL’s and possibly follow Rob’s suggestion to
   stagger automatic updates.

SourceForge.net will manage the full burst capacity for web-based downloads
through our global network of OSS mirrors, global CDN network(s) and cloud
file server providers.   Using these resources, we anticipate our capacity
is well above the expected delivery requirements for the upcoming release.

In addition to basic download capacity, SourceForge will provide detailed
download statistics, which will support future product, infrastructure and
marketing plans.  We will commit to make stats available on the
SourceForge.net website and provide stats delivery APIs.  We are able to
capture initiated downloads, not just page views, and will provide them
split by geography and operating system.  We’re also willing to consider
additional stats needs.

Proposed Timeline:

   - Immediately: SourceForge sets up Apache Infra team with credentials on
   an AOO mirror project in sf.net
   - First week:  SourceForge updates contracts with CDN and other
   providers to handle full AOO peak release traffic
   - Second Week: AOO Infra team works with sf.net operations team to ramp
   traffic to sf.net in a controlled way in order to gather statistical
   data, verify assumptions, and give the Apache infrastrucure team time to
   verify our capacity.
   - 1-2 days post test:  SF.net analyzes traffic data, assures that our
   assumptions about geographic mix, and interactive vs automated download
   mix, are valid and we can do this in a fiscally responsible way.
   - 1-2 days post test: AOO infrastructure team analyses traffic data,
   lets sf.net team know any additonal data needs, and validates that the
   system will work for them

Once everything is tested and vetted on both sides, we will need to make a
CDN bandwidth commit, and would like the AOO team to commit to notifying us
30 days prior to shutting down the flow of traffic, so that we can update
our contracts and avoid penalties.

We believe that the combination of SF.net mirrors, and CDN based burst
capacity will provide a fast and stable download experience for AOO users,
and **will allow the AOO team to publicize the release in an agressive
manner.*

--
*Mark Ramm*
Director of Engineering,