On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Marc Sanders <marcsander...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rob Weir <robweir <at> apache.org> writes:
>

>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock <at> gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Looks like they are bundling in known adware apps like PartyPoker,
>> PriceGong, uPlayer, etc.
>>

>> Their link that says "Install the OpenOffice suite and get the #1
>> alternative to MS Office" downloads a 33 MB openoffice-suite.exe. This
>> is not a real distribution of OpenOffice.org.  It sounds like it is a
>> "download admin" that will offer the other apps and then download OOo.
>>
>> So a few issues here:
>>
>> 1) Their website and the file name suggest that the user is
>> downloading "OpenOffice"
>>
>> 2) Domain name "openoffice.fm"
>>
>> Both are likely confusing to the consumer and falsely imply the
>> identity and source of their goods.
>>
>> BTW, I created a place in Bugzilla to track things like this:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/enter_bug.cgi?product=trademark
>>
>> Once we get 3.4 out maybe we can do an official registration of
>> "Apache OpenOffice" as a trademark.  That will give us some more clout
>> with issues like this.  Until then, I suppose we should take it as a
>> compliment that they are claiming to be us, and not some other open
>> source office suite
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> > Don
>>

> In a moment of carelessness,
> I downloaded and "installed"
> openoffice.fm, but declined
> all adware apps.  After
> "installation", no version
> of OOo appeared anywhere.
> (So, *apparently* nothing
> installed or could be uninstalled.)
> I've run Sophos AV numerous time
> and found nothing.
>
> Any reason I should be concerned?

The MO is typically to install adware, not viruses.  Virus writing is
not a business model.  Some anti-virus apps report adware, some don't.
 But if you don't see anything, that might be a good sign.  After all,
adware that you can't see is not a business model either.

When I get a chance I'll try installing on a virtual machine and see what I get.

-Rob