You should have exactly one tag for the release candidates.
You can either use straight version numbers, in which case
you burn a version number on a failed vote, or you can use
"RC" candidates in the tag/tarball name, in which case you
can iterate over the RC number on separate votes.

The first way is preferred by httpd and friends.  Either way
you only need to vote once, not twice, on a candidate- but
the IPMC needs to vote too.