On May 2, 2012, at 9:45 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

> On 05/02/2012 04:29 AM, Peng Chen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>      I post a wiki about how to support a VBA API in OpenOffice,
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/How_to_support_a_VBA_API_in_OpenOffice
>>
>>      Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks.
>>
> I am almost embarrassed to say this, but after having read it, I have no idea
> what the article is about. I think that the problem is that I lack the proper
> vocabulary. For example, when I see "VBA", I think "Visual Basic
> Applications", which is something that MSO (Microsoft Office) supports, and
> not OOo (OpenOffice.org).
>
> Is this an article related to the VBA compatibility mode stuff that can be
> enabled using a specific Option from inside of StarBasic?
>
> After I have a handle on exactly what is accomplished, then I will read this
> again, since it looks like you are probably answering some very specific
> questions that I have in areas that I do not fully understand, but have
> searched for in the past.
>
> Sorry for my lack of immediate understanding.

I'm not sure what I am reading either. My reference is using Apache POI and its
User Defined Function (UDF) capability to rewrite a VBA function in Java. This
allows me to have a different implementation of a VBA function that is not in a
Basic derivative. Whether that works or not depends on whether I can accurately
code the VBA in Java. This is not easy.

I think that this API may be more about "UDF" support than VBA support.

To me VBA support means that I can run my MS Office VBAs in the program without
any trouble.

Still, UDF support is useful. VBA support is a panacea.

What's it all about Peng?

Regards,
Dave