KG01 - See comments inline.

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM, chengjh <chen...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We see,the old OpenOffice.org wiki
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page  has accumulated plenty
> of valuable information,including planning,function specification,technical
> documents and so on..Currently,the planning and project tracking parts have
> been moved to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home,that means
> new start of the project.Because the two wikis are two different wiki
> software systems,moreover, there are existing different writing styles
> between them and writers need accounts for them respectively, it is not
> convenient for writers to write wiki articles when switching between
> them...

KG01 - Yes, attempting to manage and maintain content on two wikis is
painful and inefficient.

So, I propose to create a new wiki for developers to record
> technical documents,technical review,proposals/ideas,function specification
> and design,and so on by sub-project categories, for example,we can move the
> scope of teams section from the old OO wiki to the new wiki, or *extend the
> scope of  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Hometo
> include these areas.

KG01 - While I appreciate that there is a focus on "development" in the
open source world, I would suggest that the effort is much broader. I
personally prefer open source product development ;) Delivering
sustainable, compelling and delightful products is the domain of an
interdisciplinary team, not just technical folks. Any future wiki strategy
should address the needs of all project stakeholders and contributors.

> *Thus, in the future,the new wiki will only keep a
> link to the old OO wiki which takes as the history data and continue to
> accumulate new project data to benefit the project and contributors..Please
> comment...thanks.

KG01 - Archiving older content as is, and including references from the new
wiki makes sense. A one-time migration of relevant data would be important,
however, any older content could be left as is in the archives. To help
differentiate old versus new, we might consider a different tool. As a
better user experience is important, this seems like a good time to move to
a newer wiki tool.