On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:08:05AM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 7/28/12 11:57 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> > Hi Regina,
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Regina Henschel
> > <rb.hensc...@t-online.de> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I start to build trunk with MSVC Express on WinXP. The build breaks in
> >> qadevOOo with error message
> >>
> >> C:\AOO_2012_07_git\trunk\main\qadevOOo\runner\util\ValueChanger.java:378:
> >> cannot find symbol
> >> symbol  : class TextFitToSizeType
> >> location: package com.sun.star.drawing
> >>     if (oldValue instanceof com.sun.star.drawing.TextFitToSizeType){
> >>                                                 ^
> >> Reason seems to be, that the changes in
> >>   r1366087: #116001# TextToFitSize item/property optimized to boolean
> >> are incomplete.
> >
> > IMHO besides of being incomplete, they are incompatible, and thus the
> > API changes should be reverted: this kind of incompatible API changes
> > should happen only on mayor versions, they should wait for AOO 4; in
> > the meantime, the solution seems to be:
>
> in general yes and I would agree but in this case Armin told me that the
> implementation was always different and the IDL was wrong.

It doesn't matter what the implementation did internally, API users
don't care about implementation details. And it is a mistake to assume
that no API clients are using this API. In fact, it is more justified to
asume it is being used, as it's been documented in the SDK example:
main/odk/examples/DevelopersGuide/Drawing/TextDemo.java

It also seems logical to assume that people read the documentation and
follow the examples ;)

> We did such
> changes in the past as well but always very seldom and carefully.

But this change is *not* carefully done: the change is not tracked in
the IDL documentation; as API user, I would expect a @deprecated tag in
the IDL, not simple removal without further information (besides the
Developer's Guide being updated too
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Drawings/General_Drawing_Properties)

> It doesn't help to keep wrong IDL types that never have worked and were
> not really used.

This is a wrong assumption, see the example from the SDK quoted above.
You cannot mesure how many API users are using this API, but assuming
that some people actually read the examples and follow them seems more
reasonable.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile