> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:08:05AM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 7/28/12 11:57 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>> Hi Regina,

>>> IMHO besides of being incomplete, they are incompatible, and thus the
>>> API changes should be reverted: this kind of incompatible API changes
>>> should happen only on mayor versions, they should wait for AOO 4; in
>>> the meantime, the solution seems to be:
>>
>> in general yes and I would agree but in this case Armin told me that the
>> implementation was always different and the IDL was wrong.
>
> It doesn't matter what the implementation did internally, API users
> don't care about implementation details. And it is a mistake to assume
> that no API clients are using this API. In fact, it is more justified to
> asume it is being used, as it's been documented in the SDK example:
> main/odk/examples/DevelopersGuide/Drawing/TextDemo.java
>
> It also seems logical to assume that people read the documentation and
> follow the examples ;)
>
>> We did such
>> changes in the past as well but always very seldom and carefully.
>
> But this change is *not* carefully done: the change is not tracked in
> the IDL documentation; as API user, I would expect a @deprecated tag in
> the IDL, not simple removal without further information (besides the
> Developer's Guide being updated too
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Drawings/General_Drawing_Properties)
>

>> It doesn't help to keep wrong IDL types that never have worked and were
>> not really used.
>
> This is a wrong assumption, see the example from the SDK quoted above.
> You cannot mesure how many API users are using this API, but assuming
> that some people actually read the examples and follow them seems more
> reasonable.

I agree and apologize to not go deeper in this special case. Under this
circumstance I would suggest that we revert the change and document it
in IDL. The enum has no real effect and is obsolete. We can postpone
this incompatible change for a 4.0 if we all agree that the change in
general make sense.

Juergen