KG02 -see comments inline.

On Friday, August 31, 2012 <x-apple-data-detectors://45>, Ian Lynch wrote:

> On 30 August 2012 09:57, Kevin Grignon
> <kevingrignon...@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > KG01 - see comments inline.
> >
> > On Aug 30, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm organising the Open clipart library into categories. We could use
> >> this then as a useful resource to complement AOO.
> >
> > KG01 - This adds a lot of value. Ideally we could aim to align the
> information architecture for the categorization. This would allow users to
> leverage the existing knowledge when browse in each library.
> >
> >> Any thoughts about
> >> the best way to implement making the categorised library available to
> >> the community?
> >
> > KG01 - it would be great to explore ways to make the open clip art more
> accessible/discoverable within AoO clipart view. Some social integration
> could enable pulling clipart into editors, or pushing an image from an
> editor to the open library.
> >
> > While we could create a plug-in, it would be a better unified ux if we
> integrate open clip art and local clipart in one UI.
>
> At present I'm just going through all the folders from OpenClipart.org
> and putting them into arbitrary folders labelled Animals, People,
> Transport, Food etc. This is because each contributor simply puts
> often unconnected files in a folder so images on OpenClipart.org are
> grouped by author not type (unless I'm missiong something :-) ). While
> there are some aggregations and an on-line indexing system on the
> OpenClipart.org site I haven't found it particularly easy to find
> things. It seems easier to me to have a folder called eg Animals  with
> sub folders for birds, insects, mammals, perhaps with subdivisions of
> cartoon and realistic in each. There are png and svg versions of each
> image. Ideally we'll get import of svg to AOO so that these can be
> edited or resaved in odg or odg will develop to be fully svg compliant
> but I guess that is further down the development road. Once we have
> the categories established they could be embedded in the AOO gallery
> system and anyone wanting to could add to the library to complement
> missing items. Probably helpful for the OpenClipArt project too. There
> really are masses of images to sort through but a lot of duplicates -
> millions of pencils and pens :-) This is why a visual search of a
> folder called pens is probably going to be more successful than trying
> to search for key words.

KG02 - yes, it would be great to clean this up

> So at the moment I propose to plough on sorting the images and
> hopefully when they are done someone (perhaps you kevin :-) ) Who
> knows more about how the UX can work with the imagescan help make it
> easy to integrate into the gallery.

KG02 - This is an interesting consideration.  When we think about social,
we need to apply the social integration to the context of office
productivity.  I feel that social clip art is a great example of future
capabilities.

KG02 - I will include this scenario in the social design explorations.