On 9/24/12 8:01 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 23/09/2012 Shenfeng Liu wrote:
>> 3. Deliver milestone builds to harvest our development fruits. A
>> milestone
>> build is:
>>       (a) a development snapshot that contains the features/enhancements
>> that implemented till now;
>>       (b) passed regression test to ensure no severe defects;
>>       (c) announced on a development wiki;
>>       (d) with documents on the wiki for the list of features and bug
>> fixes
>> in this milestone build (like a release notes).
>
> Milestone builds are a good idea: they would not be the same as the
> daily snapshots (which by the way are not yet available for all
> platforms). I would add:
>
> (e) available in all official supported languages, at least as langpack;
>
> and make the builds available on a monthly basis, so they can be easily
> identified and we can engage QA testers more effectively. This, of
> course, unless people who provide the builds find it too time-consuming
> to upload a build per month.

milestone builds are not only a good idea, they are overdue. We had
already agreed on milestones builds some weeks before and we lost focus
on this a little bit with other things :-(

I would suggest that we start this week with the first snapshot builds
and ideally based on a revision that our build bots have build
successful. Unfortunately I see only the 64 bit Linux build bot
reporting a successful build. We should analyzing these problems first.

Based on this I would suggest that we do official snapshots every 2 or 4
weeks besides our nightly build bot builds that can be used for testing
as well. Probably a 4 weeks cycle is good to report in more detail what
the snapshot contains and to focus more testing on it.

What do you think, is a 4 week cycle for official dev snapshots enough
together with working build bits supporting nightly builds?

Thanks Simon, for bringing this up again.

Juergen