On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With our graduation coming up soon, it might be time for us to consider a
> slight update to the user portal web site -- http://www.openoffice.org/ --
> for this momentous occasion.
>
> To this end, I've moved some entities to the "test" directory, and updated
> robots.txt to not index this directory.
>
> I've wanted to fix some of the styling for a while to deal with horizontal
> placement issues, but I'm sure some of you have some ideas as well.
>
> Maybe a wiki page would be a good idea as well to present graphic mockups of
> ideas.

Good topic to bring up.

With graduation we'll have to think about changes to two websites.
www.openoffice.org, of course.  But also our project website, which
update, e.g., ooo-dev@i.a.o --> d...@openoffice.apache.org.  Our
subversion tree changes as well.  Ditto for Apache dist directory.

So that leads to several sets of website changes:

1) Any rebranding we need/want to do, e.g. remove "incubator"
disclaimer and references.  There was talk at one point about
refreshing the logo design at this time as well.

2) Updating URL's, email list address, SVN and dist directory
references.  There may be others.  This is pretty much a search &
replace operation.

3) Any work to "freshen" the website UI.  IMHO it is always a good
time to improve the website ;-)

I wonder if it would be a good time to rethink the default font on the
website.  Look at our plain text versus Mozilla's website, which uses
OpenSans (Apache 2.0 License):

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/

http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Open+Sans

To me this is much more legible than our current font (Liberation?)