> >> The orb is really nice here, a flawless vectorization of what we have.
> >>
> >> The text appears a bit distorted, or maybe it's just my on-screen
> >> rendering: for example, the "O" seems a bit wider and the "e" seems to
> >> be cut on the right, at least comparing the last image at
> >> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2783448
> >> 3 with your version.
> >
> > You're right, that vector needs a little titivating
> >
> >> Font was discussed in this thread
> >> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/11468
> >> and it looks like the discussion settled on Verdana despite some
> >> comments about it being non-free; anyway it is a very common font, so it
> >> might be possible to get it perfectly rendered to SVG too.
> >
> > That's not difficult, all fonts are vectors in any case and fontforge
> > will export svg.
> >
> > I would definitely raise a -1 to using any proprietary fonts, especially
> > one
>
> Here is a comparison between Bitstream, Nimbus and Liberation.
>
> http://imagebin.org/231102
>
> Bitstream also was modified by reducing the width by 15%.

That's right I remember doing that way back, the problem with that was/is that
it made the font loo heavy in the wrong places.  The most noticeable was in
the O  In the bitstream family, the arc and the stress in the O are the same
width from top to bottom whereas in for instance Frutiger, the original OOo
font, the widths of the arc (the top and bottom of the bowl) were half the
width of the stress (the sides).  This had the effect that when the font was
compressed, the arc remained lighter than the stress, or at least until you
got to 50%.

With all of the Bitstream fonts (DejaVu, and Liberation are just variations on
the original Bitstream) compressing the font results in the character looking
top heavy with a fat butt because the arcs are  now wider than the stresses.

Of the three, I'd go with Nimbus.  I like the the Liberation set, but for some
reason they decided that the uppercase O wasn't wide enough???  Liberation
uses some of the design cues of Frutiger, noticeable on the bowls of the c and
e.  And I never liked the terminal on the bitstream f. it looks unfinished,
like the designer couldn't figure out what to do with it.

Those subtle variations could be fixed in inkscape of course and because it's
an open font we could modify it without issue.

Cheers
GL