Great discussion on an important topic.

If I may, I'd like to add a ux perspective.

Support and help systems are very important and necessary, however, my goal
is to mitigate the need to such assets at the tool level. For example,
rather than put energey into updating the install documents, we could
explore design alternatives to deliver a better install experience. One
click install, with popular app marketplace integrations and easy updates
come to mind. Then provide a great first use experience that helps users
add extensions and configure their tools.

More broadly, beyond install and config, we could look to bring the great
support and user assistance assets to the user in the context of the tool
itself. For example, we could integrate help and support into the task pane
(side bar).

Regards,
Kevin