On 01.11.2012 09:59, Kevin Grignon wrote:
Hello All,

I've been exploring design alternatives for adding navigation tabs to the
docked task pane.

See:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_UX_Design_Exploration_-_Docked_Task_Pane_Container_-_Tab_User_Interface_Design

We should keep in mind that there are not only UX changes involved here. I see three areas to work on:

1. UX.  Look and feel.  Kevin has made the first step in this area.

2. Programming framework. There is already a UNO API for plugable sidebar controls in general. There is a C++ framework for the side bar used in Impress. These different approaches should be unified and extended to be usable by all AOO applications and by extension developers.

3. Sidebar content. At the moment I only know the sidebar in AOO Impress (implemented a large part of it myself) and the Symphony sidebar. I think that we want the sidebar for AOO Writer and Calc, too, and have to think about what to put into it. Here we can learn and copy a lot from Symphony.

-Andre