Well, in case it helps, I will share my experience.

It took a while to get the build working - often this was my own
carelessness and some of the time it was because I was a bit out of my
depth.

Whenever I had difficulties, I received help - lots of help and none of it
grudging.  I now have an environment in which I can get the latest code,
build the interpreter, write changes, test and document them.

I don't understand everything I do and I'm still making newbie mistakes, but
I enjoy it.
I'm very pleased that the contributing community is small enough that
someone is keeping an eye on what I do.

Once I understood that we have an image that is precompiled, suddenly much
more of the code is accessible pretty much with my Rexx experience only.

As for the C++ it looks more like french to me than greek if you know what I
mean.  I couldn't write it without help, but to a large extent I can read it
(I did have a short career as an assembler programmer many decades ago).

I also struggled with Tortoise, but once it was set up it was easy to use.
I probably would have failed to get it set up if I hadn't watched you (Rick)
set up SVN on my laptop in Austin.

I'm not used to the collaborative way of developing, hence my reluctance a
few weeks back to post my bit of development code that didn't work.  It is
just something I'm getting used to.

In case people are worried that if they contribute anything at all then they
will have to work every night, that has not been my experience.  Rick and
Mark have been really encouraging, and when my work and home life have
required all my time I have gone quiet for days or weeks and nobody has
nagged me.

At the moment I am not doing anything.  Work has been crazy and I'm about to
go off-line for a couple of weeks, but I certainly intend to pick things up
when I get back.

As for learning C++, my feeling is that I still have a bit to learn doing
the sort of thing that I have been doing.  A lot of the discussion that goes
on on this list regarding the core makes my ageing-head spin, but maybe in
time...

hth

Jon