  From: Rony G. Flatscher [mailto:rony.flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at]
  Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:46 PM
  To: Open Object Rexx Developer Mailing List
  Subject:  Re: [Oorexx-devel] Question about calling an external routine

  rob...@garrettfamily.us wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, Rony.

    I've been reading about the ::REQUIRES and ::ROUTINE directives in the
doc but so far haven't hit on the correct coding to get them working
properly.  These directives/concepts don't exist in mainframe REXX so
they're new to me.
    Is there a simple example I can look at that would reveal the proper
coding structure?
  O.K., here's an example:

    /* MAIN.rex */
    call LOGGER   /* this will make LOGGER's public routines (and public
classes) accessible */
    res=loggerDoSomething("hey, you!")
    say "res="res

    streamObj=loggerCreateStream("myFilename.log")
    streamObj~lineout(res)
    streamObj~close

  Here's an example for the LOGGER.rex program:

    /* LOGGER.rex */

    ::routine loggerDoSomething public  /* returns the reversed
argument-string */
       parse arg val
       return reverse(val)

    ::routine loggerCreateStream public /* creates a stream object with the
given filename */
       parse arg filename
       return .stream~new(filename)

    Also, thanks for the tip on the logging framework.
  You are very welcome.

  ---rony