Let me add that both Ruby and Python have implemented YAML as (one of)
their data marsalling protocols.  It has several advantages (to me) over
other protocols and I believe should be (one of) the first choice(s) for
ooRexx.  For those who haven't looked at it, it is a sequence of strings
that can be easily "read" by humans as well as unmarshalled back into
the original object.  Brandon Cherry has an implementation of the JSON
protocol (in the incubator?) which is a subset of YAML so we have a bit
of a precedent as well.  Here is a link to the YAML site -
http://www.yaml.org/ - and the latest (yesterday) spec -
http://www.yaml.org/spec/1.2/spec.html - for anyone wanting to
investigate the protocol further.

Gil Barmwater