Rony,

The problem with the PATH is because the new SDK's use delayed environment
variable expansion.  This is disabled by default in older operating systems
like XP, and as you've seen, it results in the path being wiped out.  Not
sure why the Microsoft developers do that.  It could be that they too want
to move forward, not live in the past.  <grin>

I've found that the simplest thing to do is to enable it in the registry.
You can get this info by doing: cmd /? at the command line.

Delayed environment variable expansion is NOT enabled by default.  You
can enable or disable delayed environment variable expansion for a
particular invocation of CMD.EXE with the /V:ON or /V:OFF switch.  You
can enable or disable completion for all invocations of CMD.EXE on a
machine and/or user logon session by setting either or both of the
following REG_DWORD values in the registry using REGEDT32.EXE:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\DelayedExpansion

        and/or

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\DelayedExpansion

to either 0x1 or 0x0.  The user specific setting takes precedence over
the machine setting.  The command line switches take precedence over the
registry settings.

If delayed environment variable expansion is enabled, then the exclamation
character can be used to substitute the value of an environment variable
at execution time.

Have fun.

  _____