Historically, commands that listed files, limited the display for one
reason or another.  LISTFILE in CMS showed only one minidisk at a
time, 'ls' in Unix (Multics?) omitted 'dot-files', TSO limited you to
the low-level qualifier or a single PDS.  The main reason was to save
console printer/display real estate, which was at a premium for
interactive use.

SysFileTree() otoh, was never intended for interactive use and is more
accurately regarded as a application interface to the file system.
 From that standpoint, SysFileTree() should, by default, return ALL
files.  Wildcards (RE's) and arguments may be provided to limit the
information returned, but the basic behavior should be to return
everything.  Especially now that memory is cheap and I/O is not.

IMHO, of course.

-Chip-