I had a look at the REX folder which mfc has provided at
http://speleotrove.com/rexxhist/rexcard-208-scan.pdf and saw that we had
multi-line strings already back in 1980.  So I'd like to reopen the
discussion about adding multi-line literals.  (This is not imbedded data -
now available through the ::RESOURCE directive in 5.0 - but inlined
literals.)

At first, what was the reason we lost multi-line strings (starting with a
simple quote, and spanning multiple lines)?

What about re-introducing them, either with a third type of quote (e. g. ` )
or some double-character quote (e. g. `" multi - line string "` )