Gil,

Been doing a little reading on the Windows Pipe and I/O functions. and it
appears you could also encounter a problem, though in a slightly different
way. If you are still writing data to the pipe and the buffer is full,
WriteFile() will block until the other end of the pipe reads enough data
from the pipe to complete your write. Unfortunately, the other process may
have already filled the output pipe and is sitting in the same WriteFile
wait situation waiting for you to read from the output pipe.

It is possible to create a non-blocking pipe by using CreateNamedPipe()
rather than CreatePipe(), but I'm not sure this fixes the problem since the
non-blocking behavior applies to both read and write operations. This means
that the other process will see unexpected errors if either pipe's buffer
is full, and likely terminate the command. I suspect for now, we may need
to see how this plays out in practice. I see it is possible to specify a
buffer size on the CreatePipe() call. Perhaps creating a larger output
buffer would prevent the other process from filling it before the input
data is all written.

Rick