Found and fixed the problem and have been through all my tests that I developed for my proof of concept package.  In the process, I found several things I wasn't expecting.

1) The parser seems to have reversed the expected positions of the target type - STEM, STREAM, or USING - and the "mode" - APPEND or REPLACE.  I believe the syntax per the ANSI standard should be e.g. WITH OUTPUT STEM APPEND someStem. and not WITH OUTPUT APPEND STEM someStem.

2) There seems to be a requirement for the stream/stem name to be either a literal - "abc.txt" - or if it is a variable, enclosed in parenthesis - (someFile).  I expected the () for USING but not for STEM or STREAM.

3) My package allowed for stem "names" to be specified with or without the trailing . but my testing shows the trailing . is required or an error message is generated.  I'm OK with that as long as it is documented.

4) I get an error (unable to open ... for output) when I specify

output stream "abc2.txt" error replace stream "abc2.txt"

which was testing the redirection of both output and error to the same stream.

5) Using a non-existent file for redirected input generates an error (unable to open ... for reading) while my package treated this as a null file.  Probably not a problem as the error message would flag a file name typo :-)

As for checking in the code, I am not a committer so I plan to generate a patch file and attach it to RFE 4.

One other item that I discovered is that I can get a deadlock in Windows as well.  I had not tested sending a lot of data to redirected output but when I did, my package locked up, presumably due to the output pipe being full.  I plan to experiment with ways around this but will generate the patch file with the code as it stands now.

Gil