I want to separate this thread out from Rony's question about the SVN build
number.

I'm thinking it is time to take a look at updating the minimum SVN version
and the policies. Currently, we're sort stuck on CMake 2.8, while the
latest version is 3.11. I think at a minimum, we should bump the minimum
version to 3.0, or possibly higher.

As for the  CMP0010 OLD policy, this only controlled whether invalid
variable reference syntax was a warning or an error. I'm not sure why David
decided we needed to set this, but everything builds cleanly with the NEW
behaviour, so I think this should just be removed. Also, if we upgrade to
at least 3.0, we can remove the conditional setting of the CMP0042 policy,
since that will be the default.