Oops my bad,
I forgot to tell that I changed all my CMakeLists to use

cmake_minimum_required( VERSION 3.12 )

And with that  CMAKE provides the proper RPATH handling
Without specifying anything
,
I just run otool -l  rexx
And all the  rexx libraries are prefixed with the @rpath construct

Snip…

Load command 13
          cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
      cmdsize 56
         name @rpath/librexx.5.0.0.dylib (offset 24)
   time stamp 2 Thu Jan  1 01:00:02 1970
      current version 5.0.0
compatibility version 0.0.0
Load command 14
          cmd LC_LOAD_DYLIB
      cmdsize 56
         name @rpath/librexxapi.5.0.0.dylib (offset 24)
   time stamp 2 Thu Jan  1 01:00:02 1970
      current version 5.0.0
compatibility version 0.0.0

Snip...

Enrico

PS.

If You want I can give You access to my bitbucket repo so that You can see my
mods
Faster than cut and paste them  in the emails
Just tell me what email You prefer  and I will put You in the authorised users
list