On 07.09.2019 14:22, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
> On 06.09.2019 18:35, Erich Steinböck wrote:
>> To be able answer Paul Higgins' recent question regarding retrieval of BLOB
>> data, I checked
>> ooSqlite's BLOB handling - see incubator/ooSQLite.
>>
>> It seems that ooSQLite will return BLOBs as ooRexx Buffer objects only. This
>> means that its
>> content cannot be accessed through ooRexx unless there was a helper function
>> which ooSQLite
>> doesn't seem to provide.
>>
>> As I don't know a good reason, why BLOB data should be returned as an opaque
>> Buffer, I suggest to
>> change the code to return the data as a simple String or a MutableBuffer.
>>
>> Does anyone have concerns?
> No concerns at all! :)
>
> Maybe it would be also helpful to add the method "makeString" (and maybe also
> "makeMutableBuffer")
> to the ooRexx Buffer class ("5.4.3 Buffer Class"), such that Rexx programmers
> of other use cases can
> get at the data when confronted with a Buffer object if need arises?
>
> ---rony

Just another thought, should there ever be a motivation to make the data of an
opaque Buffer from
the native side available to Rexx programmers: rather than implying that the
data represents a
string (makestring would suggest that) a getter method like "data" could be
used instead. It would
carry no specific meaning of the data the Buffer refers to.