Dear Gil:

On 28.02.2020 19:12, Gil Barmwater wrote:

> I have just uploaded version 1.1 of the package to my Dropbox. In addition to
> the changes I
> mentioned earlier (see below), I have modified the location of the output
> files. There are now
> only three folders - fo_files, log_files, and PDF_files - instead of a folder
> per document. The
> link I supplied earlier will still work but here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5d9mwx63xru1tk/orxbldoc.zip?dl=0> it is again so
> you don't need to
> hunt for it. Again, feedback is welcome!

Used your new version 1.1, but got into (small) troubles using "doc2pdf
rexxref":

    G:\oorexx.tmp\gilDocs\orxbldoc-1.1>doc2pdf rexxref
    F:\work\svn\oorexx\docs\trunk\rexxref\en-US\Common_Content already exists.
    15:40:34 - Transforming
F:\work\svn\oorexx\docs\trunk\rexxref\en-US\rexxref.xml to fo_files\rexxref.fo
    This may take more than 5 minutes!
    Making portrait pages on A4 paper (210mmx297mm)
    15:49:19 - Transformation complete
    15:49:19 - Creating PDF_files\rexxref.pdf from fo_files\rexxref.fo using
Apache FOP
    15:49:19 - PDF created

Remarks:

  * Please note that in my case the doc2fo step takes almost 9 minutes, hence I
would suggest to
    give the warning 10 minutes instead of the current 5 minutes (otherwise
users may fear that the
    process hung up if one has to wait more than 5 minutes).

  * the fo2pdf step was not carried out, because of missing directories
("log_files", "PDF_files"),
    here the double-check:

    G:\oorexx.tmp\gilDocs\orxbldoc-1.1>fo2pdf
    15:51:35 - Creating PDF_files\rexxref.pdf from fo_files\rexxref.fo using
Apache FOP
    15:51:35 - PDF created

  * after creating the two missing subdirectories "log_files" and "PDF_files"
manually the process
    concluded successfully in the fo2pdf step:

    G:\oorexx.tmp\gilDocs\orxbldoc-1.1>md log_files PDF_files

    G:\oorexx.tmp\gilDocs\orxbldoc-1.1>fo2pdf
    15:52:21 - Creating PDF_files\rexxref.pdf from fo_files\rexxref.fo using
Apache FOP
    15:52:47 - PDF created

Maybe the success message "PDF created" should only be given if the fo2pdf step
was carried out?

One more observation: I updated the documentation via svn to revision 11985,
yet the book reads
5.0.0.r11982 on the title page (this may stem from my prior tests a few days
ago). Doing a
"svnversion %docpath%" yields currently revision 11985.

---

Overall, *extremely impressed* how easy and straight forward it has become to
create rexxref.pdf,
something I (and many others) simply would not have been able to do before your
hard work and making
the toolchain and the scripts available to us! Kudos!!

The time, work and efforts you have invested here is really great for the
entire community!

> Ad oodguide errors: I have added some code to create the files that book is
> trying to include but
> be aware that they are in the PARENT folder of the folder specified for
> docpath. This will cause a
> problem if you should have that folder on say a portable drive but not under
> another directory.
> E.g using d:\rexx\theDocs for docpath would be OK but d:\theDocs would fail.
> I would prefer to
> have those files be created down one level but that will need a change to the
> source for the
> oodguide book. If that change gets made I will update the package.
>
> Ad the errors (32) in the winextensions book: I have not had a chance to
> investigate why they are
> being generated but they seem to correspond to the 32 occurrences of (???) in
> the PDF file on SVN.
>
> Ad syntax highlighting of C++ code: this appears to be a built-in feature of
> Publican which is not
> available for xsltproc. More investigation is needed to determine what to do
> about it.
>
> While I have accomplished what I intended - allowing anyone to build the
> ooRexx documentation on
> Windows 10 - there is more work to be done going forward. I would be happy to
> provide assistance
> to anyone wishing to port the package to *ix. This would involve using the
> *ix versions of the
> xsltproc tools and writing shell scripts to replace the *.cmd files.

+1

Just an idea/a question: how about assuming that ooRexx 5.0 is installed and
because of that writing
a small Rexx script that would replace the shell scripts for all operating
systems (differences
among the operating systems could be taken care of in such a Rexx script)? E.g.
this would allow
.datetime to be used for measuring the different steps (the different commands)

> And we should look into moving from Docbook 4.5 to 5.0, a non-trivial task
> from what I have
> determined. Investigating other tools to do the transformation could give us
> the ability to
> syntax-highlight not only the C++ code but also the ooRexx.

May I just ask a question ad html-production: have you been able to look into
that corner? P.O.
reported that with his Publican, Windows 7 confined version the html text would
not look good. It
would be great to have all of ooRexx' documentation on the web, such that
people can quickly find it
by searching the Internet (very much like finding the documentation e.g. for
any Java class).

Another question maybe: I notice that in the book directories there are two
Publican related files:
Makefile and publican.cfg. Are they needed (or any of the Publican related
files) for your solution?

Best regards

---rony