Just like Enrico I did some research for the platforms we support:

Windows ->                      mixed case possible (installer exists and is
commonly accepted)
macOS Homebrew ->               lowercase only
macOS Ports ->                  mixed case possible
macOS Fink ->                   lowercase only
Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint ->   lowercase only
CentOS,Fedora,OpenSuse ->       mixed case possible
FreeBSD, OpenBSD,NetBSD ->      mixed case possible
OpenSolaris ->                  mixed case possible

Disregarding Windows (for this exercise) a little background:
Apple decided at one time to remove the possibility we had in the past to make
„proper“ pkg installers. At the moment we have a simpler dmg installer that can
be used for ooRexx 5.0.0/5.1.0 but most Mac users prefer to use a 3rd party
„package installer“, something that is common for the Linux users but that
Apple have decided not to provide. A BIG advantage with that is that Homebrew,
MacPorts & co provide an uninstaller, something that was missing for Mac in
ooRexx 4.1.2.

Homebrew is by far the most common 3rd party package (formulae, casks) provider
for macOS, MacPorts is the second largest and have around ten times less
downloads compared to Homebrew. Fink is yet another, even smaller, provider.
Mark Hessling has decided to have a go at building a Homebrew „formula“ or
„cask“ for ooRexx 5, but anyone interested is warmly welcome to have a go at
doing the same for MacPorts or Fink as well. This is the reason why we need to
create a source package something we missed when pushing ooRexx 5.0.0 out the
door last year. When you do a release only once every 9 years you tend to
forget things :-)

If we want to offer the same source package to all the platforms (for
maintenance that is really preferred ) there is no other option than to provide
it in lowercase, or it will be rejected on the Debian based platforms, and
potentially also by Homebrew. That is the technical reason for changing the
name to lowercase.

Remember we are ONLY talking about the gift box, not what is in it. From this
detailed listing you can see how uncommon it is to have packages/casks/formulae
in mixed case.

Platform                Total   lower   mixed   Lowercase%
macOS Homebrew Formulae 6624    6624    0       100%
macOS Homebrew Casks    4165    4165    0       100%
CentOS                  6747    6222    525     92%
Fedora                  70712   63251   7461    89%
OpenSuse                46515   38290   8225    82%
Debian                  59745   59745   0       100%
Ubuntu                  78984   78984   0       100%
LinuxMint               85429   85429   0       100%
RaspberryPiOS           88185   88185   0       100%
FreeBSD                 21823   16226   5597    74%
OpenBSD                 11704   9585    2119    82%
NetBSD                  24570   21259   3311    87%
OpenIndiana             882     872     9       99%
Total                   506085  478837  27247   95%

The possibility to spread the word about how great ooRexx is increases with the
number of places where we are present. If that requires a package in lowercase
I for one can live with that. It does not change the Project as such, that is
still ooRexx.

Hälsningar/Regards/Grüsse,
P.O. Jonsson
oor...@jonases.se