Does anyone use Vandelay to import and overlay existing authority records? We 
are able to import new records, but cannot overlay existing authority records. 
I haven't been able to find documentation that says Evergreen specifically 
supports overlay of existing authority records, and if so, what field is used 
for the overlay-merge point. We are on release 2.1.

Thank you,

Libby McLean
Cataloging Librarian II
King County Library System
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mary 
Llewellyn
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:38 AM
To: 'Evergreen Discussion Group'
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.2 and Authorities

Hi George,

Thanks for the linking-script information. I don't work much on the database 
side, aside from running a few SQL queries, so this is good to know. I'll talk 
to our systems guy about it. 

As to the placeholder records, what I'm proposing is that the headings in 1xx, 
6xx, 7xx, and 8xx be treated as quasi-authorized and generate brief acq 
records. You're right, there would have to be a mechanism for 
merging/overlaying those records when the full ones become available. Other 
systems can do it. I'd like to see Evergreen develop in that direction.

The workflow as I would prefer is for us to do quarterly extracts of the newest 
bib records added or updated during the previous 3 months. We  send that to our 
authority control vendor, who returns them to us with authorized headings in 
the bibs and full auth records that correspond to the headings.
We load those back to our database, replacing/merging/overlaying the bibs and 
doing the same to existing brief auth records that had been system-generated 
previously. Also, the vendor would provide us with auth files for changed 
headings, and we would load those to replace/merge/overlay previously loaded 
authority records. 

Mary


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of 
Duimovich, George
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:47 PM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.2 and Authorities


Not sure how fully this would address your needs, but there is an auto-linking 
script that ships in the /support-scripts/ directory called 
"authority_control_fields.pl" - It can be used to populate your authority 
linking table and can be re-run following any significant imports to your 
authority entries (but re-running against entire database can take time).

We've taken the approach to automate this script on a weekly and/or monthly 
"cron-job" by re-running the above script against only new or modified bib 
records for that specified period. But we have already outsourced the creation 
/ validation of our authority records from our bib data (so we're not adding 
any large batches of *new* authorities to match against).

Re: placeholder records: you make a good point regarding browse authority 
searching excluding non-authorized entries. On the one hand, it is intended to 
permit the browsing of authorized entries (say, authors) and it does that. But 
I can see how folks may want this new functionality more generalizable (e.g. 
browse index functionality - all entries vs. just browsing authorized entries, 
etc.). I'm also wondering whether the use of placeholder records will be 
creating more work later on (merging, overlaying, etc.) for the benefit of 
making the authority index browse more like a browse all entries index?  

George

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan





-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mary 
Llewellyn
Sent: February 7, 2012 16:25
To: Evergreen Discussion Group
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.2 and Authorities

Hi all,

Today I turned my attention to testing the new Authorities browse searching in 
Evergreen 2.2. I loaded some auth records through Vandelay and was able to 
search them in the browse search. But I'm uncertain about linking auth records 
to bibs; I see how to do it manually, but I'm hoping there's a way to have bibs 
link to auths as they are loaded, since it's not humanly possible to link 
manually link all the bibs with their respective auth records. Have I missed 
something, or is this still in development?

What would be nice is if the 1XX, 6xx, 7xx, and 8xx headings in the bib record 
would create placeholder auth records for headings as the bibs are loaded, 
which could be replaced/overlaid later with a load of full auth records from a 
vendor such as Backstage Library Works. 
Otherwise, we'll have a lot of records not retrievable with those browse 
searches because their full auth records aren't in the system yet. We'd never 
be caught up.

Thanks,

Mary


Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager
Bibliomation, Inc.
Middlebury, CT
[email protected] 

Reply via email to