From a non-programmer, but one who catalogs - could the Matches Exactly be available for advanced or expert searching? Sometimes, you really DO need to search in the most narrow way possible.

    On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Kathy Lussier
    <kluss...@masslnc.org <mailto:kluss...@masslnc.org>> wrote:

        Hi all,

        I wanted to float an idea to the community. I spent a little
        time this morning looking at a bug submitted earlier this year
        regarding the Matches Exactly search option in the advanced
        search screen -
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1267129. After
        thinking about the problem, I came to a conclusion that I've
        drawn on similar occasions when looking at previous problems
        with exact match searching that has since been fixed. Overall,
        I think this search option along with, to a lesser extent, the
        Starts With search option, is more likely to cause frustration
        for users than to solve any search problems.

        I'm curious to know if others have found the same problems in
        their libraries and, if so, if there is any willingness in the
        community to remove those options in the advanced search
        screen to save frustration on the part of users.

        My reasons for removing them are below:

        1. The intent of this search option is to perform a left- and
        right-anchored search on the search terms. The entered search
        terms need to exactly match the index as it appears in the
        relevant metabib table. If doing a title search, you need to
        enter the entire title including 245a and 245b. I believe most
        users are unlikely to know what the subtitle is for a book and
        a. The re more likely to enter just the words that are in 245a.

        2. Right now, there is a bug with Matches Exactly. As of now,
        if you enter the following terms in the search box:

        the joy of cooking

        the system will retrieve anything that begins with "the", ends
        with "cooking" and also contains the words "joy of" in no
        particular order. I just conducted a matches exactly search
        for the help today and, in addition to retrieving "The Help"
        it also retrieved a record for "The Berenstain Bears hurry to
        help." The fix for this particular issue is fairly easy, but
        the fix also means that the Matches Exactly will become even
        more unforgiving than what I outlined in #1 above. Punctuation
        will matter more. In addition to entering all of the words in
        the 245a and 245b, the user will also need to know where to
        add punctuation. From what I can tell, this isn't consistent
        for all punctuation. In looking for the title "The assist :
        hoops, hope, and the game of their lives" the following search
        works:

        "^The assist hoops, hope, and the game of their lives$"

        but these searches do not work:

        "^The assist : hoops, hope, and the game of their lives$"

        "^The assist hoops hope and the game of their lives$"

        It looks like the user needs to know that the colon should be
        removed, but the commas should remain.

        3. The "Starts With" search is a little more forgiving since a
        user is more likely to know the start of a title rather than
        the entire string, but it still suffers from the problems of a
        user needing to know what punctuation should be entered (or
        not entered) for the string that they type. Since it is a
        search that uses left-anchoring, it also does not ignore
        non-filing indicators, which is something that users sometimes
        expect it to do. Note: I was the person who added the "Starts
        With" search to Evergreen, mainly as a way to ameliorate the
        issues we saw with the "Matches Exactly" search. Now that
        Browse search is available in the catalog, I don't think this
        particular search is necessary on the advanced search screen
        anymore.

        4. In a standard Evergreen installation where no custom
        indexes have been added, both of these search options will
        probably fail for a keyword search. This happens because, by
        default, there is one keyword index (the blob) where all of
        the indexed terms for the record are stored, and there is no
        way any user could know all of the terms that are stored there
        and their proper order. If they are entering a title, they are
        more likely to have successful Starts With keyword searches
        because the title seems to be the first thing that starts off
        the blob, but if the user were entering any other terms
        (author's last name?) for a Starts With keywords search, the
        search will fail.

        Rather than present a search option to our users that has a
        higher likelihood of leading to unsuccessful search results
        than our other search options, I would like to see if there is
        willingness in the community to remove these options in the
        next (March/April) release of Evergreen.

        Please feel free to share any feedback you have to this idea.

        Thank you!
        Kathy

-- Kathy Lussier
        Project Coordinator
        (508) 343-0128 <tel:%28508%29%20343-0128>
        kluss...@masslnc.org <mailto:kluss...@masslnc.org>
        #evergreen IRC: kmlussier

--
J. Sara Paulk, Director