Jennifer,

We had that issue and it turned out to be database connections. We had a limit of 100 postgres connections, and we were hitting that limit. Clark died all the time!

Run this on your database and compare to the number of allowed connections that you have configured on postgres:

|SELECTsum(numbackends)FROMpg_stat_database;|

-Blake-
Conducting Magic
MOBIUS