From: Open-ils-general
[mailto:open-ils-general-boun...@list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Jason
Stephenson
Sent: Friday, September 1, 2017 4:15 PM
To: open-ils-general@list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Aged_Circulation

On 09/01/2017 04:50 PM, Jim Taylor wrote:

> Okay.  Thanks.

> So there is no duplication?   Everything in aged_circulation was once in

> circulation and is moved, not copied, to aged_circulation?  It just

> loses some of the info?  Or is it copied and everything in

> aged_circulation is still in circulation, assuming one hasn’t deleted

> rows in circulation?

There is no duplication. The action.aged_circulation is for statistical
reporting while breaking the link to the patron who had the item checked out.

Circulations get moved under three circumstances in stock Evergreen:

1. A patron is deleted. This moves all of the patron's circulations from
action.circulation to action.aged_circulation

2. A row or row(s) in action.circulation are deleted. The
action.age_circ_on_delete trigger moves deleted action.circulations to
action.aged_circulation.

3. The action.purge_circulations function is run. This function is meant to be
run periodically to enforce patron privacy. It's behavior is controlled by two
internal flags: history.circ.retention_age and history.circ.retention_count.
The purge_circulations function is often run from cron via the
purge_circulations.srfsh script. NOTE: This function will take a *long* time to
run for the first time on a system that has had much activity. The srfsh script
will likely time out before the database function finishes and nothing will get
moved.

If you have not been doing 2 or 3, then the aged_circulation entries you see
are likely because of 1.

You can delete rows from action.aged_circulation if you wish. Keep in mind that
this could lead to the loss of statistical information depending on what
reports you use.

HtH,

Jason