Wilton wrote:

>>> I've been running a CentOS server connected to a Promise VTrak m500i
>>> via open-iscsi quite successfully for over a year now.  A few days ago
>>> the performance plummeted on the drive and I'm seeing the following
>>> messages in my log file:
>>> Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: ping timeout of 5 secs
>>> expired, last rx 161502341, last ping 161507
>>> 341, now 161512341
>> What kernel and open-iscsi version are you using? This looks like
>> something from the open-iscsi.org test release (also in scsi-misc and in
>> the future RHEL 5.1 kernel).
>
> I'm running CentOS 4.5.

>> Did you just upgrade the kernel or tools?
>
> No.  That's what's weird.  It's been running fine for months and then

Ah sorry. For some new open-iscsi code I copied the linux-iscsi code in
Centos/RHEL 4.5. And I used the same error message as the Centos code,
so that threw me. Ignore me above.

> all of a sudden, last Thursday, these messages started showing up.  I
> thought it might be a problem with the switch so about an hour ago I
> moved all the ethernet cabling to alternative ports on the switch, but
> that didn't resolve the problem.
>
>> Ever X seconds the initiator will send a nop to check the target. You
>> can control this with the noop settings in /etc/iscsi/iscsi.conf. If it
>> does not get a response it will drop the session and retry commands. It
>> looks like this happened here.
>>
>>> Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Session dropped
>>> Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Failing command cdb
>>> 0x28 task 264952 with return code = 0x20000
>>> <snip>
>>> Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Failing command cdb
>>> 0x28 task 264959 with return code = 0x20000
>>> Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Failing command cdb
>>> 0x8a task 264960 with return code = 0x20000
>>> Jan 14 09:06:13 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Waiting 2 seconds
>>> before next login attempt
>>> Jan 14 09:06:15 flax kernel: iscsi-sfnet:host7: Session established
>> Then we were able to log back in right away.
>>
>> So either there was a problem at the target/network and we did not get a
>> iscsi ping response, or if you just upgraded to some new code and are
>> not seeing it maybe there is a bug in there.
>
> I'll look into this noop stuff.  The thing is, I can do a flood ping
> from the host to the Promise array and it doesn't lose any packets at
> all.  Why would the iscsi miss a packet.

I do not know. We may have hit a problem where the cmdsn numbering is
wrong. open-iscsi had messed that up and promise targets did not like
it, but when I looked at linux-iscsi/RHEL/Centos it looked ok. Maybe I
am thinking about something else. A wireshark trace or the target should
have logged a error.

> And, since I have you on the hook right now, I'm curious to know why
> the iscsi-sfnet is listing "host7" as the host.  It seems like each
> time I restarted the iscsi daemom this increments.  That doesn't seem
> normal.

In 2.6 kernels the scsi layer just increments the host number every time
a host is allocated. So linux-iscsi also does a host per session, so
when you restart the daemon the old host is destroyed and a new one is
created.

> I'll get back after testing the noop params.

for linux iscsi it is the PingTimeout, ActiveTime, and IdleTimeout. The
noop params are for open-iscsi (the list you posted to :)).