We currently do iSCSI boot for a number of clients, and we have
developed a kind of cargo-cult set of rules for how it has to be
done.  I would like to validate some of these assumptions with you
knowledgeable folks.

We use iscsistart within the initrd ramdisk to login to the target and
create a session to the root file system.  At this point, we are under
the impression that we must soon thereafter start the user space
daemon (iscsid) in order handle some of the iSCSI protocol messages.
Is this still true?

Looking at the recent source for iscsistart, we see that it now sets
the "noop_out_interval" and "noop_out_timeout" to 0 (as recommended in
the README file).  It does not increase the "replacement_timeout"
value to a large time as recommended in the same section.  Should we
still be doing this after we enter user space?

Speaking of user space.  Since our root file system is fresh at each
boot (read-only root w/ unionfs), the DB files that would normally be
created during discovery do not exist.  We have found that if we just
blindly start the daemon (iscsid) without doing a discovery first, the
session will die after a period of time.  So what we do, is run a
discovery against the current session to populate the DB, fix up the
"timeout" values, and then start the daemon.  Is this the right thing
to do?  Anybody know why things lock-up if we don't do this?

I notice a recent change in git that prevents discovery for existing
sessions.  Would this change prevent us from reaching a stable root
file system login?

One more observation.  We are using a SANRAD target, and it uses
"65535" for the Target Portal Group Tag".  The open-iscsi source uses
"-1" (the 16bit signed conversion) to stand for
"PORTAL_GROUP_TAG_UNKNOWN", and causes us no end of trouble.  It
requires us to patch iscsistart, and screws up command line parameters
and the like.  It appears that there is a problem here with sign
conversion.

Any comments from people who are doing similar things would be
appreciated.

Craig