David Lee Lambert wrote:
> I'm trying to get open-iscsi to work on some systems that run kernel
> 2.6.16.  I'm using the "open-iscsi-2.0-865.15" release.  I can build
> the source, but the iscsi_tcp module won't load.
>
> On a production system where we only have very short windows for
> maintenance,  after the init script runs, all attempts to invoke
> "iscsiadm" hang for a while, and the following messages appear in the
> kernel log:
>
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol crypto_alloc_tfm
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol crypto_free_tfm
>
> Here's the output of "lsmod":
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> scsi_transport_iscsi    19980  -
> dm_round_robin          3840  -
> dm_multipath           18952  -
> dm_mod                 50840  -
> r8169                  25864  -

You also need the crypto modules. That is why the iscsi_tcp module did
not get loaded I think. In the lsmod below you have the crypto modules
loaded

 > crc32c                  1792  0
 > libcrc32c               2560  1 crc32c

but libiscsi did not get loaded. In the above lsmod libiscsi also did
not get loaded.

> On a test system,  I built the exact same kernel release and open-
> iscsi release.  (I couldn't use exactly the same kernel configuration
> because some hardware is different.)  I can duplicate a similar, but
> perhaps not the same, problem:  "iscsiadm" hangs,  and the messages in
> the kernel log are different:

> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_eh_host_reset
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_update_cmdsn
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_setup
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_verify_itt
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_pool_free
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_session_recovery_timedout
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol __iscsi_complete_pdu
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_bind
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_host_get_param
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_session_setup
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol class_to_transport_session
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_eh_abort
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_failure
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_complete_pdu
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_eh_device_reset
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_set_param
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_get_param
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_teardown
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_host_set_param
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_session_get_param
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_send_pdu
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_start
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_prep_unsolicit_data_pdu
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_pool_init
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_session_teardown
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_conn_stop
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_requeue_ctask
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_queuecommand
> iscsi_tcp: Unknown symbol iscsi_change_queue_depth
>
> Here's the output from lsmod:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> scsi_transport_iscsi    21640  1
> crc32c                  1792  0
> libcrc32c               2560  1 crc32c

libiscsi module did not get loaded but the crypto modules got loaded.

> dm_round_robin          2688  0
> dm_multipath           13704  1 dm_round_robin
> dm_mod                 37816  1 dm_multipath
> e1000                  89140  0
> tg3                    82308  0
>
> The README file says that 2.6.16 is the minimum suitable kernel
> release level.  Is that still correct?  Also, which modules do I need
> to build in the kernel itself;  is it possible to build a certain
> kernel and need only the user-space tools from open-iscsi?

2.6.16 is still supported.

Are you running make install to install the modules, then running
modprobe iscsi_tcp to load them? Make sure yo have the crypto modules
from the 2.6.26 kernel are built and installed. CONFIG_CRYPTO and
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C in the .config. Then after you do make install on
iscsi, try and do a depmod to make sure the dependencies are all getting
picked up.