aspasia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 installs of Ubuntu - one i686 and the other AMD64; I am
> testing my AMD64 installation to boot iscsi root and found that it got
> stuck during boot ... which let me to realize that it had an older
> version of a module:
>
> modinfo scsi_transport_iscsi
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/
> scsi_transport_iscsi.ko
> version:        2.0-724
> license:        GPL

> My other Ubuntu server has this version:
>
>  modinfo scsi_transport_iscsi
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/
> scsi_transport_iscsi.ko

Are you sure this kernel version is right (2.6.24-16)? 2.0-869 was added
to 2.6.25. 2.0-724 was in older kernels like 2.6.24.

Are you using the iscsi modules from your kernel or from the
open-iscsi.org tarballs.

> version:        2.0-869
> license:        GPL
>
> ...  I guess I need to download an install the latest open-iscsi
> binaries?  It seems like in the older version may seem to cause an
> issue during my attempt to boot iscsi via initrd:  I am unable to
> "iscsistart" ... it gives me some error that it cannot create the
> connection - (115)

You should be able to use a older iscsistart with newer kernel modules.
Run iscsistart with -d 8 to get more debug info.