I am running heavy load test to an array connected to SLES10 SP2
system (2.6.16.60-0.21) using open-iscsi and device-mapper multipath
that comes with the distro.

The test from time to time will also inititate lun reset.  For
whatever reason, after couple hours I/O would just hang on a path.
And iscsiadm -m session -P3 would show that a path is in "recovery"
state (see below) and while other other paths are "running" state

        Current Portal: 192.0.1.144:3260,1
        Persistent Portal: 192.0.1.144:3260,1
                **********
                Interface:
                **********
                Iface Name: default
                Iface Transport: tcp
                Iface Initiatorname: iqn.1996-04.de.suse:
01:7284eb499690
                Iface IPaddress: 192.0.1.97
                Iface HWaddress: default
                Iface Netdev: default
                SID: 1
                iSCSI Connection State: LOGGED IN
                iSCSI Session State: Unknown
                Internal iscsid Session State: NO CHANGE
                ************************
                Negotiated iSCSI params:
                ************************
                HeaderDigest: None
                DataDigest: None
                MaxRecvDataSegmentLength: 131072
                MaxXmitDataSegmentLength: 524288
                FirstBurstLength: 262144
                MaxBurstLength: 2097152
                ImmediateData: No
                InitialR2T: Yes
                MaxOutstandingR2T: 1
                Attached SCSI devices:
                Host Number: 4  State: recovery

So while other paths are deem good by iscsi and multipathd agrees
according to output in /var/log/messages, no test I/O nor multipathd
check I/O is going out to the wire on the so-called "bad" path.  It
seems they're being held back and never completed.

On the trace, on the "bad" path the only I/O is iSCSI nop .  So who is
holding back all the I/O?  scsi mid-layer or iscsi or both?